Skip to main content

Top 13 Catholic Spirituality Books

My Favorite Catholic Spirituality Books

A Listmania! list by Amanda Rose (Florida)

The list author says: "I am a Catholic convert who was delighted to find the immense and almost secret treasure box of the Church - saints, mysticism, intellectualism, simplicity, common-sense advice, moral values, and a complete array of ways to achieve happiness through Christ. Struggling day by day to remain faithful, accept the love of Christ, act mercifully, and keep moving along the Little Way to Heaven. I write spiritual reflections at www.LittleStepsAlongTheWay.com."

1. Divine Intimacy by Father Gabriel of St. Mary Magdalen
The list author says:
"My favorite book ever! Covering the entire liturgical year, beginning each day’s reading with a short phrase/prayer to help to place oneself into the presence of God. There are two points for meditation, intended to be for two prayer periods, but can be utilized as the Spirit leads you. Ending is a Colloquy provided to carry us through those dry times when we have no feelings to be aroused."

2. Trustful Surrender to Divine Providence: The Secret of Peace and Happiness by Father Jean Baptiste Saint-Jure
The list author says:
"This greatly influenced me and helped me to understand the importance accepting God's will."

3. Story of a Soul: The Autobiography of St. Therese of Lisieux, Third Edition by Therese de Lisieux
The list author says:
"Another favorite I have read through at least twice. St Therese is the inspiration for my blog and my attitude about the importance about taking "little steps" along the way to holiness."

4. Fire Within by Thomas Dubay
The list author says:
"This is the next best thing to having a real life spiritual director! And even if you have a spiritual director, there is much to learn as Fr. Dubay shares tidbits from John of the Cross and Theresa of Avila in ways that we can understand and apply to ourselves."

5. Beginning to Pray by Anthony Bloom
"A treasure!"

6. Catechism of the Catholic Church by U.S. Catholic Church
The list author says:
"A go-to book often off my bookshelf and with reach for reasearch."

7. Mother Angelica: The Remarkable Story of a Nun, Her Nerve, and a Network of Miracles by Raymond Arroyo
"She inspires me!"

8. Mother Angelica's Little Book of Life Lessons and Everyday Spirituality by Mother M. Angelica
The list author says:
"Wonderful qoutes to inspire."

9. The Road of Hope: A Gospel from Prison by Phanxicô Xaviê V?n Thu?n Nguy?n
The list author says:
"Not a book to read straight through, but many short qoutes organized by topic. These are messages the imprisoned Bishop had smuggled out of prison to nourish his flock."

10. Abandonment to Divine Providence by Jean-Pierre DeCaussade
The list author says:
"More about accepting God's will."

11. Uniformity with God's Will by St. Alphonsus Liguori
The list author says:
"I carried this small booklet around with me for years. There are many marking of my favorite passages despite its short length of just less than 30 pages."

12. The Collected Works of St. John of the Cross by Saint John of the Cross
The list author says:
"I enjoy this translation and found it easier to understand than others I had read."

13. Diary of Saint Maria Faustina Kowalska: Divine Mercy in My Soul by St. Maria Faustina Kowalska

Comments

Paulo said…
Hi!

I would like to show you PRAY, a free and open source application to:

* learn to pray The Holy Rosary, The Chaplet of The Divine Mercy etc..
* meditate on the mysteries of the Rosary listening to Bible readings
* meditate with beautiful depictions of the mysteries
* count the prayers using an on-screen virtual Rosary

Thank you.
Unknown said…
Beginning to Pray by Anthony Bloom. Small in stature and size but a delightful and powerful book. I have given away a few well marked highlighted and underlined copies, and one new one. It is a treasure and easy to read since it takes an essence of prayer, and tells stories to illustrate it. Good for us who fall asleep reading philosophy.
Unknown said…
Anonymous said…
You have done a great job on this article. It’s very readable and highly intelligent. You have even managed to make it understandable and easy to read. You have some real writing talent. Thank you.free

Popular posts from this blog

Bishops of Colorado gave an apparent Vaxx "Exemption" Letter & Stated: "Vaccination is Not Morally Obligatory and so Must Be Voluntary"

Today, the bishops of Colorado gave an apparent Vaxx " exemption" letter (21_8_Vaccine_Exemption_CCC_Fin...docx(20KB)) and stated that "Vaccination is Not Morally Obligatory and so Must Be Voluntary":  COLORADO CATHOLIC CONFERENCE 1535 Logan Street | Denver, CO 80203-1913 303-894-8808 | cocatholicconference.org   [Date]   To Whom It May Concern, [Name] is a baptized Catholic seeking a religious exemption from an immunization requirement. This letter explains how the Catholic Church’s teachings may lead individual Catholics, including [name], to decline certain vaccines. The Catholic Church teaches that a person may be required to refuse a medical intervention, including a vaccination, if his or her conscience comes to this judgment. While the Catholic Church does not prohibit the use of most vaccines, and generally encourages them to safeguard personal and public health, the following authoritative Church teachings demonstrate the principled religious

Does Francis's "Right-hand Man" Parra have a "Sexual Predation against Seminarians, Adultery, and even a Deadly Sex Game...[that] 'might even be a Scandal Surpassing that of McCarrick'"?

Archbishop Edgar Peña Parra with Francis Today, the Call Me Jorge website asked "What could be so important that Francis interrupted his weekly adulation [Audience] session?": Pope gets a phone call during the Audience. Haven’t seen this before. Then he quickly leaves and says he will be back. pic.twitter.com/npCuPzdnxP — The Catholic Traveler (@MountainButorac) August 11, 2021 It was Abp. Mons. Edgar Robinson Peña Parra, Substitute for the Secretariat of State, who was involved in the recent scandal of mismanagement during the acquisition of a € 300 million building in London. Still no word on what the phone call was about . [http://callmejorgebergoglio.blogspot.com/2021/08/what-could-be-so-important-that-francis.html] Who is Archbishop Edgar Robinson Peña Parra ? Parra according to the Catholic Herald is Francis's "right-hand man"[https://catholicherald.co.uk/roman-curia-the-popes-new-right-hand-man/] In 2019, Life Site News reported that Parra alleged

Might it be Good for all of us & for Francis to Read about the "Gruesome Death of Arius"?

I have read the letters of your piety , in which you have requested me to make known to you the events of my times relating to myself, and to give an account of that most impious heresy of the Arians , in consequence of which I have endured these sufferings, and also of the manner of the death of Arius . With two out of your three demands I have readily undertaken to comply, and have sent to your Godliness what I wrote to the Monks; from which you will be able to learn my own history as well as that of the heresy . But with respect to the other matter, I mean the death, I debated with myself for a long time, fearing lest any one should suppose that I was exulting in the death of that man. But yet, since a disputation which has taken place among you concerning the heresy , has issued in this question, whether Arius died after previously communicating with the Church ; I therefore was necessarily desirous of giving an account of his death, as thinking that the question woul