Skip to main content

Top 13 Catholic Spirituality Books

My Favorite Catholic Spirituality Books

A Listmania! list by Amanda Rose (Florida)

The list author says: "I am a Catholic convert who was delighted to find the immense and almost secret treasure box of the Church - saints, mysticism, intellectualism, simplicity, common-sense advice, moral values, and a complete array of ways to achieve happiness through Christ. Struggling day by day to remain faithful, accept the love of Christ, act mercifully, and keep moving along the Little Way to Heaven. I write spiritual reflections at www.LittleStepsAlongTheWay.com."

1. Divine Intimacy by Father Gabriel of St. Mary Magdalen
The list author says:
"My favorite book ever! Covering the entire liturgical year, beginning each day’s reading with a short phrase/prayer to help to place oneself into the presence of God. There are two points for meditation, intended to be for two prayer periods, but can be utilized as the Spirit leads you. Ending is a Colloquy provided to carry us through those dry times when we have no feelings to be aroused."

2. Trustful Surrender to Divine Providence: The Secret of Peace and Happiness by Father Jean Baptiste Saint-Jure
The list author says:
"This greatly influenced me and helped me to understand the importance accepting God's will."

3. Story of a Soul: The Autobiography of St. Therese of Lisieux, Third Edition by Therese de Lisieux
The list author says:
"Another favorite I have read through at least twice. St Therese is the inspiration for my blog and my attitude about the importance about taking "little steps" along the way to holiness."

4. Fire Within by Thomas Dubay
The list author says:
"This is the next best thing to having a real life spiritual director! And even if you have a spiritual director, there is much to learn as Fr. Dubay shares tidbits from John of the Cross and Theresa of Avila in ways that we can understand and apply to ourselves."

5. Beginning to Pray by Anthony Bloom
"A treasure!"

6. Catechism of the Catholic Church by U.S. Catholic Church
The list author says:
"A go-to book often off my bookshelf and with reach for reasearch."

7. Mother Angelica: The Remarkable Story of a Nun, Her Nerve, and a Network of Miracles by Raymond Arroyo
"She inspires me!"

8. Mother Angelica's Little Book of Life Lessons and Everyday Spirituality by Mother M. Angelica
The list author says:
"Wonderful qoutes to inspire."

9. The Road of Hope: A Gospel from Prison by Phanxicô Xaviê V?n Thu?n Nguy?n
The list author says:
"Not a book to read straight through, but many short qoutes organized by topic. These are messages the imprisoned Bishop had smuggled out of prison to nourish his flock."

10. Abandonment to Divine Providence by Jean-Pierre DeCaussade
The list author says:
"More about accepting God's will."

11. Uniformity with God's Will by St. Alphonsus Liguori
The list author says:
"I carried this small booklet around with me for years. There are many marking of my favorite passages despite its short length of just less than 30 pages."

12. The Collected Works of St. John of the Cross by Saint John of the Cross
The list author says:
"I enjoy this translation and found it easier to understand than others I had read."

13. Diary of Saint Maria Faustina Kowalska: Divine Mercy in My Soul by St. Maria Faustina Kowalska

Comments

Paulo said…
Hi!

I would like to show you PRAY, a free and open source application to:

* learn to pray The Holy Rosary, The Chaplet of The Divine Mercy etc..
* meditate on the mysteries of the Rosary listening to Bible readings
* meditate with beautiful depictions of the mysteries
* count the prayers using an on-screen virtual Rosary

Thank you.
Unknown said…
Beginning to Pray by Anthony Bloom. Small in stature and size but a delightful and powerful book. I have given away a few well marked highlighted and underlined copies, and one new one. It is a treasure and easy to read since it takes an essence of prayer, and tells stories to illustrate it. Good for us who fall asleep reading philosophy.
Unknown said…
Jones Morris said…
You have done a great job on this article. It’s very readable and highly intelligent. You have even managed to make it understandable and easy to read. You have some real writing talent. Thank you.free

Popular posts from this blog

"Exorcist Fr. Ripperger is asking everyone to say this Prayer until the Election is Resolved"

A good friend of the Catholic Monitor got this from a group message. She said "exorcist Fr. Chad Ripperger is asking everyone to say this prayer until the election is resolved": Prayer of Command In His Name and by the power of His Cross and Blood, I ask Jesus to bind any evil spirits, forces and powers of the earth, air, fire, or water, of the netherworld and the satanic forces of nature.  By the power of the Holy Spirit and by His authority, I ask Jesus Christ to break any curses, hexes, or spells and send them back to where they came from, if it be His Holy Will.  I beseech Thee Lord Jesus to protect us by pouring Thy Precious Blood on us (my family, etc.), which Thou hast shed for us and I ask Thee to command that any departing spirits leave quietly, without disturbance, and go straight to Thy Cross to dispose of as Thou sees fit.  I ask Thee to bind any demonic interaction, interplay, or communications.  I place N. (Person, place or thing) under the protectio

High-profile Lawyer Barnes: Amy Coney Barrett would be a Disaster

High-profile trial lawyer Robert Barnes who deals in civil, criminal and constitutional law reported on Twitter that Amy Coney Barrett would be a disaster. The Barnes Twitter report shows that Coney Barrett has " sid[ed] with the government on the lockdowns, on uncompensated takings, on excusing First Amendment infringements & Fourth Amendment violations... [and] exclaimed the benefits of Jacobson, the decision that green-lit forced vaccines & carved out an emergency exception to Constitutional protection in "public health" or "emergency" cases used to justify forced sterilizations & detention camps... [and] hid behind precedent... to prohibit pro-life activists from exercising their free speech ." The Avvo.com lawyer directory reports that attorney "Robert Barnes embraces the challenge to defend the little guy and stand up for what is right. This is why he left the prestigious Yale Law School, whom publicly stated their unwill

If Kamala Harris' Father is part White & part Jamaican African and her Mother is Asian-Indian then is she really Black?

Is Joe Biden's running mate really Black? If Kamala Harris' father is part white and part Jamaican African and her mother is Asian-Indian then is she really Black? Reason.com tries to figure it out: Kamala Harris, Joe Biden's pick to be the Democratic Party's vice-presidential nominee, is the daughter of an Indian immigrant mother and a Jamaican immigrant father. Her father, as I understand it, has ancestors of both European and African origin. [Welcome new Volokh readers. FYI, I've been working on a book on the American Law of Race, with this forthcoming article the first relevant output. My own opinion is that Ms. Harris should be deemed American, period, but there is no such box on government forms, and if you decline to state your race, someone will decide for you… First things first. There is no multiracial or mixed-race category in American law in any jurisdiction. Nor is there an Indian category. So Harris cannot be legally Indian, nor can she b